Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL

От Ron Mayer
Тема Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> 1. What is your favorite GUI tool for PostgreSQL?

Just psql in an emacs window.
Emacs lets me see large result sets, and keep a history of my commands.

> 2. In your organization, do you have someone who works as full time
> PostgreSQL DBA?

Our Oracle DBA is also the DBA for our production PostgreSQL databases.
Developers administer their own databases (some Oracle, some PostgreSQL).

> 3. What is the biggest challenge you have with PostgreSQL?
> Administration or Programming?

  Challenge programming:
   Familiarity in the group with Oracle makes some tasks quicker in Oracle.

  Challenge administrating:
   Remembering when to analyze (especially remembering to stick analyze
   in the middle of big nightly scripts that make large temporary tables).

> 4. Overall, do you like PostgreSQL? Would you recommend it over MySQL?

Personally I like it a lot.  Definately over MySQL, and even over Oracle
for anything containing data that don't have complicated replication needs.

My DBA, however, prefers Oracle over PostgreSQL.  But he doesn't have the
budget for Oracle for all our systems.  :-)  I think he prefers PostgreSQL
over MySQL, though.

> 5. How often do your PostgreSQL run into problem or crash? Are most of the
> problem caused by PostgreSQL itself?

Never had a crash with PostgreSQL itself.  One problems with a table
where "analyze"'s sampling would generate bad stastics (correlation) for
some tables and make the planner pick slow plans. This was worked around
by reordering data in the table.

> Any suggestion and help are welcome. Thanks!

One suggestion... if you get a lot of off-the-mailing-list responses,
could you post a summary?

   Ron