Re: alternative to postgresql

От Markus Gieppner
Тема Re: alternative to postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Henry,

You might want to take a look at SAPDB (www.sapdb.org), the open-source db
from SAP AG. Runs really great, scales well, also on Windows, has lots and
lots of features (transactions, constraints, triggers, stored procedures,
subqueries, no vacuuming, query by example, visual queries, dynamic growing
etc. etc. ), 600+ page documentation, an SQL client for Windows, a C
precompiler, a webserver, replication manager, wonderful support people
(online) and a small but steadily growing group of users, mainly in Europe.
On some edges it's still a bit rough, but that makes it only more charming.

Interfaces are available for ODBC, Perl, Python, PHP and JDBC. It's totally
free, even for commercial applications.

Another option, also not too known, and which runs nicely on Windows, is
Intersystems Cache (www.intersystems.com) . It's commercial and proprietary,
but they recently lowered their pricing (starts now in the range of $3000,
correct me if I'm wrong..., with a free download for developpers ). It's a
postrelational database offering best of both worlds (RDBMS + OO) and
multi-dimensional; and apparently scales and performs extremely well under
heavy load. It integrates an application server into the database, and
allows pretty easy development of webapplications (using Cache Server Pages,
JSP, ASP, Perl etc.). Installation on Windows is extremly simple, within 5
minutes you have it integrated into IIS and running. I haven't tried it on
Solaris or Linux yet. Cache is mainly used in the health industry but their
most prominent client is Ameritrade. According to an independent study it
outperforms Oracle in several quite important areas - not only in regards of
pricing!

With all respect for PostGreSQL - but if you are on Windows and don't want
to go through the hassles of Cygwin you should definitely take them into
consideration.

Markus Gieppner
MGF International Inc., New York
Webapplications - Ecommerce - Publishing
(1) 212-477 5399