Re: alternative to postgresql - PostgreSQL Windows

От Doug Fields
Тема Re: alternative to postgresql - PostgreSQL Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
>With all respect for PostGreSQL - but if you are on Windows and don't want
>to go through the hassles of Cygwin you should definitely take them into
>consideration.

I last tried Cygwin quite some time ago. It was a hassle back then.

However, just this week I used the really well done FAQ at:

http://www.ejip.net/faq/postgresql_win_setup_faq.jsp

Which walked you step by step through the Cygwin install (much improved
since the last time I used it), IPC install (a really simple one file
download), and PostgreSQL (7.1.3, although they also have 7.2 available)
setup under Windows.

I was absolutely amazed - it worked perfectly, no hitches - first time. I
even pg_dump'd and compressed my Linux database and restored it - first try
- pointed my Java programs to the Windows server, and voila.

My opinion: If you like PostgreSQL and have about 15-30 minutes (plus
download time) to install it on Windows - do it, no questions asked. If you
don't have 15-30 minutes to solve a problem, then why are you wasting our
time asking a question? :)

Cheers,

Doug