Re: [HACKERS] HACKERS[PROPOSAL] split ProcArrayLock into multiple parts

От Jim Van Fleet
Тема Re: [HACKERS] HACKERS[PROPOSAL] split ProcArrayLock into multiple parts
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote on 06/07/2017 07:34:06 AM:

> > The down side is that on smaller configurations (single socket) where there
> > is less "lock thrashing" in the storage subsystem and there are multiple
> > Lwlocks to take for an exclusive acquire, there is a decided downturn in
> > performance. On  hammerdb, the prototype was 6% worse than the base on a
> > single socket power configuration.
> >

> I think any patch having 6% regression on one machine configuration
> and 16% improvement on another machine configuration is not a net win.
> However, if there is a way to address the regression, then it will
> look much attractive.

I have to agree.

> > If there is interest in this approach, I will submit a patch.
> >

> The basic idea is clear from your description, but it will be better
> if you share the patch as well.  It will not only help people to
> review and provide you feedback but also allow them to test and see if
> they can reproduce the numbers you have mentioned in the mail.

OK -- would love the feedback and any suggestions on how to mitigate the low end problems.

> There is some related work which was previously proposed in this area
> ("Cache the snapshot") [1] and it claims to reduce contention around
> ProcArrayLock.  I am not sure if that patch still applies, however, if
> you find it relevant and you are interested in evaluating the same,
> then we can request the author to post a rebased version if it doesn't
> apply.

Sokolov Yura has a patch which, to me, looks good for pgbench rw performance.  Does not do so well with hammerdb (about the same as base) on single socket and two socket.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/

http://www.enterprisedb.com