Re: Favorite Linux Editor for PostgreSQL Scripts?

От Steve_Miller@sil.org
Тема Re: Favorite Linux Editor for PostgreSQL Scripts?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

On 02/06/2003 10:01:56 AM Mark Thomas wrote:

>I am personally an emacs user, but editors are like
>religion -- you love what you learn first. :)

Not necessarily, on either score, but I get the idea.  You Emacs users are
a loyal bunch.  :-)

>If you do choose emacs I'd recommend getting a keyboard that has the CTRL
>key left of the 'A' instead of in the lower-left corner where it's
useless.
>CTRL is commonly used in emacs. Keytronic makes keyboards with the
>capslock/CTRL swappable.

My CTRL and ALT keys are under my thumbs. Literally. I've learned to
appreciate them there under the strongest digit of my hands. Seems
placement there would be essential for Emacs.

>Why choose one over the other? emacs is modeless (meaning what you type is
>what goes into the doc). It uses meta keys (CTRL, ALT, ESC) to carry out
>commands. Vi is modal, meaning you are either in edit mode or in command
>mode. Being an emacs proponent I'll claim emacs is more powerful. :) I
tend
>to only have an emacs window open on my desktop and use its directory
>browsing, shell window, and compilation support for everything.

I wasn't aware of those things. Thanks.

>Vi has the advantage of being everywhere. You may find unix installations
>without emacs, but I don't think you'll find one without vi. Heavy
>cut/paste users seem to like vi more than emacs.

Hmmm...I more of a cutter/paster.

Steve Miller
SIL International

Сообщение: Re: Favorite Linux Editor for PostgreSQL Scripts?
Сообщение: Re: Favorite Linux Editor for PostgreSQL Scripts?