Re: Can we have time based triggers in Postgresql??

От Bob.Henkel@hartfordlife.com
Тема Re: Can we have time based triggers in Postgresql??
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Just my experience, but we when I have used Oracle as my database.  My
processes that run in batch use shell scripts to kick of stored procedures
even though Oracle does provide jobs.  Shell scripts can be much more
flexible in many cases.  You can have dependancies on all kinds of things
(time, a file arriving, after system backups are done, etc).  Granted you
could in spend time doing this from yoru favorite stored procedure langauge
but why make things more complex then they need be.

Not that jobs built into the database are of no value, but shell scripts
seem to do everything you need and when there are other things to put into
posgtresql I wouldn't vote to waste time on jobs.

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           Andrew Sullivan        |
|         |           <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>  |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           pgsql-general-owner@pos|
|         |           tgresql.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           04/06/2004 10:59 PM    |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 12:16:50PM -0500, Steve Manes wrote:
> I think he probably means like an Oracle job.  Although cron works, that
> would be handy so you wouldn't need to write wrapper scripts just to run
> a proc.

I hate to sound like an oldbie crank (although I'll admit to being a
crank), but what exactly is the advantage supposed to be here?  One
invents a new special bit of database code which exists just so people
don't have to write shell scripts?  I guess the idea gets under my
skin just because I have enough time-based problems without inventing
a new interface to make it more complicated.  Hmm.  Looks like the
sigmonster has gacked up a piece of wisdom.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
                         --Dennis Ritchie

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may
containproprietary, confidential and/or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
copying,disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient,
pleasenotify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.