Re: Can we have time based triggers in Postgresql??

От Mike Nolan
Тема Re: Can we have time based triggers in Postgresql??
Дата
Re: Can we have time based triggers in Postgresql??  ("Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net>)
Список pgsql-general
> Not that jobs built into the database are of no value, but shell scripts
> seem to do everything you need and when there are other things to put into
> posgtresql I wouldn't vote to waste time on jobs.

I wonder if Oracle's time-based jobs feature came to be as a result of some
other uses for that code, such as snapshots?

Time-based jobs wouldn't make my top 10 wish list either, though if I had
them, I'd probably use them.

The security aspects of them could be important to some users or
potential users.  Using cron either forces one to have passwords out
there in plaintext in the .pgpass file or to use a 'trusted' username
that could also be a major security hole.

Also, a script-based job can be changed or deleted by someone with the
right file permissions even though they may not have database permissions,
and vice versa.
--
Mike Nolan