Putting Transaction Logs and Data in separate directories

От Tim.Shenton@corp.terralycos.com
Тема Putting Transaction Logs and Data in separate directories
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi all,

We are in the process of upgrading our 7.4.6 instance of PG to 8.0.3 which
includes putting the new instance on new hardware.  The new hardware has
two Raid 5 disks and one system disk and we were going to play around with
putting the data directory and the transaction logs on separate disks, but
short of symlinks, I'm not sure how to do this.  I've seen some references
to file locations in section 16.4.1 of the manual
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/runtime-config.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-FILE-LOCATIONS),
 but I'm not sure if this is what I need.

Any help is appreciated because from what I can understand there is a
better way than symlinks, but I haven't been able to locate the correct
way.

Thanks, Tim

Timothy Shenton
Lycos, Inc.