Recovering a database in danger of transaction wrap-around

От Steven Rosenstein
Тема Recovering a database in danger of transaction wrap-around
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I recently inherited a server with a PostgreSQL 8.1.8 database.  The reason
I inherited it was because "it wasn't working anymore".

A quick look in the logfiles showed the following:

LOG:  transaction ID wrap limit is 2147484146, limited by database "vsa"
WARNING:  database "vsa" must be vacuumed within 998573 transactions
HINT:  To avoid a database shutdown, execute a full-database VACUUM in
"vsa".
FATAL:  database is not accepting commands to avoid wraparound data loss in
database "vsa"
HINT:  Stop the postmaster and use a standalone backend to vacuum database
"vsa".

I found out quick enough what that means...

I did as instructed, and fired up the standalone backend.  I then started
VACUUM.  About four days later, the standalone backend terminated with the
message:

WARNING:  database "vsa" must be vacuumed within 997403 transactions
HINT:  To avoid a database shutdown, execute a full-database VACUUM in
"vsa".
WARNING:  database "vsa" must be vacuumed within 997402 transactions
HINT:  To avoid a database shutdown, execute a full-database VACUUM in
"vsa".
WARNING:  database "vsa" must be vacuumed within 997401 transactions
HINT:  To avoid a database shutdown, execute a full-database VACUUM in
"vsa".
WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the
current transaction and exit, because another server process exited
abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
repeat your command.
CONTEXT:  writing block 465 of relation 1663/16384/863912
-bash-3.00$

I used lsof to monitor which files the backend was actually working on.  It
took two of the four days for it to vacuum a single table with 43
one-gigabyte extents.  I have one table with over 300 extents.  I'm looking
at a vacuum process which can ultimately take weeks (if not months) to
complete.  Is there an easier way of monitoring VACUUM's progress in a
standalone backend?

As far as I can tell, absolutely no tuning was done to Postgres and
autovacuum was in the default "off" state.  This explains why it wasn't
working anymore.

The server itself has 8gb of RAM, but a very poor I/O channel.  The
physical size of the db on the disk is 856gb.

Bottom line.  Is there *any* way of faking out the 1 million transaction
limit which prevents the postmaster from running, long enough for me to use
pg_dump to rescue the data?  I found one article which described
xidStopLimit, but I have no idea where to go to reset this, or if changing
it would have any beneficial effect.  Is there any way of rescuing the
contents of this database, or do I need to accept inevitability?  If I
restart VACUUM in the standalone backend, does it have to repeat all the
work it did before the abend above?

One other possibility I came up with is to use COPY from the standalone
back end on each table, but we're talking about 100+ tables for each of 15
schemas.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, advice, or words of condolence you
can offer,
--- Steve

Steven Rosenstein
IT Architect/Developer | IBM Virtual Server Administration
Voice/FAX: 845-689-2064 | Cell: 646-345-6978 | Tieline: 930-6001
Text Messaging: 6463456978 @ mobile.mycingular.com
Email: srosenst @ us.ibm.com

"Learn from the mistakes of others because you can't live long enough to
make them all yourself." -- Eleanor Roosevelt