Does PostGresSQL have this feature?

От martin.chantler@convergys.com
Тема Does PostGresSQL have this feature?
Дата
Re: Does PostGresSQL have this feature?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: Does PostGresSQL have this feature?  ("Norman J. Clarke" <norman@combimatrix.com>)
Список pgsql-general
I am wondering if a very useful feature of some DB's is available in
postgres

For example in DB2 you can execute SQL from the command line (via terminal
emulator)
It will perform it entirely then display the results, but only one page at
a time
You can then page down and page up within the results (or scroll across)

I notice that PSQL doesn't do this which makes large tables difficult to
maintain
Of course you could put a decent Where clause in but in the real world most
people
like to narrow things down to a certain point then scroll around a few
hundred records
looking for the data by hand. Currently this doesn't seem to be possible

The only way I can think of doing this is to write a program in C (or use
ODBC/JDBC) to
perform the SQL then retrieve x records and display them and allows paging
to be performed
When paging down the current set would be cached so that page up's would be
possible

Doing this in VB would be easy and you could allow data to be editted to...

NB Unfortunately MS Access is no good because it tries to load ALL the data
in one go and
you CANT get out of it!!!

Anyone got any better ideas???

Martin C.

--

NOTICE:  The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
intended by Convergys Corporation for the use of the named individual or