Re: newbie qs; examining databases and tables

От Devinder K Rajput
Тема Re: newbie qs; examining databases and tables
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
log into psql using: psql db_name (from the command line)
\d: Lists all tables in the current database (SHOW TABLES)
\d table_name: lists all columns of the given table ( DESCRIBE table_name)
\c new_db_name: switches connection to new database (USE db_name)
\?: will list available commands
\h: will list available SQL command
\h sql_command_name: will display usage about the given sql command

from linux command line, issue: psql -l ( lists all available databases,
including Template)

regards

Devinder Rajput
Stores Division Corporate Offices
Chicago, IL
(773) 442-6474

                    "Rusty Wright"

                    <rusty@socrates.Berkel       To:     pgsql-admin@postgresql.org

                    ey.EDU>                      cc:

                    Sent by:                     Subject:     [ADMIN] newbie qs; examining databases and tables

                    pgsql-admin-owner@post

                    gresql.org

                    10/15/2002 06:27 PM

I'm someone with some mysql experience and need to set up postgres for
a product we're evaluating.  In mysql I can use SHOW DATABASES to list
all of the databases on the system, USE DB1 to switch to one of the
databases, SHOW TABLES to list all of the table names in the database
I'm USEing, and DESCRIBE TABLE1 to list all of the column names, data
types, etc. for a table.

How do I do the equivalent with postgresql?  Are there equivalent SQL
commands?