Re: Socket communication for contrib

От Bob.Henkel@hartfordlife.com
Тема Re: Socket communication for contrib
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

"Doesn't this encourage violation of the basic notion of a transaction?
The message will be sent immediately, whether or not the sending
transaction actually commits."

Any postgresql C coders out there that can help us out with nested
transactions?

This pretty much comes down to having nested transactions for this to be of
real use.  For example.
BEGIN

update table;
commit;
send remote message that table was updated;

when ANY exception
do error logic

END

Otherwise it doesn't really tell you anything of much value.  Though I
imagine in some rare/special case it could be of use as it stands.

Bob Henkel          651-738-5085
Mutual Funds I/T Woodbury
Hartford Life
500 Bielenberg Drive
Woodbury, MN 55125

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           Tom Lane               |
|         |           <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>    |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           pgsql-hackers-owner@pos|
|         |           tgresql.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           04/05/2004 09:57 AM    |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->

Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres@cybertec.at> writes:
> People asked me to put a simple extension for PostgreSQL Open Source.
> The attached package contains a simple functions whichs tells a remote
> TCP socket that somebody is about to modify a certain table.

Doesn't this encourage violation of the basic notion of a transaction?
The message will be sent immediately, whether or not the sending
transaction actually commits.

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may
containproprietary, confidential and/or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
copying,disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient,
pleasenotify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.