Socket communication for contrib

От Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Тема Socket communication for contrib
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Community,

People asked me to put a simple extension for PostgreSQL Open Source.
The attached package contains a simple functions whichs tells a remote
TCP socket that somebody is about to modify a certain table.

Why would anybody do that?
Currently PostgreSQL provides a nice LISTEN / NOTIFY mechanism. However,
this mechanism is obsolete when the machine which should receive a
message is not connected to PostgreSQL directly.
In this case it is possible to define a trigger on a table and let the
database tell those machines via TCP that something interesting might
have happened.
In our case this package has helped us to get rid of permanent, speed
consuming polling.

Maybe some people might find it useful and want to see this feature in
contrib.
Please let us know.

    Regards,

        Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria

Вложения