Re: postgresql 8.0 advantages

От Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Тема Re: postgresql 8.0 advantages
Дата
Список pgsql-general
For scalability the new tablespaces are a major improvement, in that they
allow enhanced allocation of portions of the database to different disks.
This can massively improve speed in RAID environments, or even just
multi-disk environments.  PITR isn't a big deal for me, but might be for
you.

Rick

                      Sean Davis

                      <sdavis2@mail.nih.gov>         To:       schen@graciousstyle.com

                      Sent by:                       cc:       postgresql-general mailing list
<pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
                      pgsql-general-owner@pos        Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] postgresql 8.0 advantages

                      tgresql.org

                      02/25/2005 09:53 AM

On Feb 25, 2005, at 9:41 AM, Si Chen wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I read the PostgreSQL 8.0 "What's New" page
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew) and wasn't sure whether
> version 8.0 is significantly faster, more scalability, or more stable
> than versions 7.4?  I remember big speed improvements between 7.3 and
> 7.4.  It seems the biggest advantage of version 8.0 is being able to
> run in Windows.
> Is that true?

I like programming in perl and the new pl/perl adds a totally new
dimension to databasing.  For example, the dbi-link
(http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/) project allows you to create
a schema within your database that mirrors another data source (any
data sources available via perl DBI).  You could have an XML file
served from the web as a set of tables in one schema, a mysql database
as a second schema, and a set of csv files in a directory as a third
schema, all with views within Postgres that allow query, update,
delete, etc.  Other projects such as this are likely to spring up, I
would imagine.  Performance characteristics aside (which I will leave
to others to comment about), I have found the pl/perl improvements well
worth the switch.

Sean

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq