Re: Server Performance

От Chris.Ellis@shropshire.gov.uk
Тема Re: Server Performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote on 01/04/2009 06:53:07:

> Chris.Ellis@shropshire.gov.uk wrote:
> >
> > Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote on 31/03/2009 15:53:34:
> >
> >  > On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 8:21 AM,  <Chris.Ellis@shropshire.gov.uk> wrote:
> >  > >
> >  > > Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote on 31/03/2009 15:16:01:
> >  > >
> >  > >> I'd call IBM and ask them to come pick up their boat anchors.
> >  > >
> >  > > My sentiments exactly, unfortunately, I seem stuck with them :(
> >  >
> >  > Can you at least source your own RAID controllers?
> >
> > Yes I will be, I never really did trust IBM and I certainly don't now!
> >
> > I just need to choose the correct RAID card now, good performance at the
> > right price.
>
> you are jumping to conclusions too quickly - while the 8k is not the
> worlds fastest raid card available it is really not (that) bad at all.
> we have plenty of x3650 in production and last time I tested I was
> easily able to get >>2000tps even on an untuned postgresql install and
> with fwer disks.

Could you provide any more information upon your configurations if possible, please?

> So I really think you are looking at another problem here (be it
> defective hardware or a driver/OS level issue).

Hardware is always a possiblity, finally managed to get hold of IBM too.
I have tried two different Linux distro's, with different kernels, My current Mandriva test using a fairly upto date kernel.
I may try a custom kernel.

> is your SLES10 install updated to the latest patch levels available and
> are you running the recommended driver version for that version of SLES?

Yes

> Stefan

If you are not the intended recipient of this email please do not send it on

to others, open any attachments or file the email locally.

Please inform the sender of the error and then delete the original email.

For more information, please refer to http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/privacy.nsf