Re: Server Performance

От Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Тема Re: Server Performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Chris.Ellis@shropshire.gov.uk wrote:

> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote on 01/04/2009 06:53:07:
>
>  > Chris.Ellis@shropshire.gov.uk wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote on 31/03/2009 15:53:34:
>  > >
>  > >  > On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 8:21 AM,
>  <Chris.Ellis@shropshire.gov.uk> wrote:
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote on 31/03/2009
> 15:16:01:
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >> I'd call IBM and ask them to come pick up their boat anchors.
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > > My sentiments exactly, unfortunately, I seem stuck with them :(
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Can you at least source your own RAID controllers?
>  > >
>  > > Yes I will be, I never really did trust IBM and I certainly don't now!
>  > >
>  > > I just need to choose the correct RAID card now, good performance
> at the
>  > > right price.
>  >
>  > you are jumping to conclusions too quickly - while the 8k is not the
>  > worlds fastest raid card available it is really not (that) bad at all.
>  > we have plenty of x3650 in production and last time I tested I was
>  > easily able to get >>2000tps even on an untuned postgresql install and
>  > with fwer disks.
>
> Could you provide any more information upon your configurations if
> possible, please?

x3650, dual quadcore Xeon 5430. Servraid 8k with 256MB-BBWC and likely
RAID6 during that testing. OS was/is debian etch/amd64. Don't have the
exact (pgbench) test parameters handy anymore though...

>  >
>  > So I really think you are looking at another problem here (be it
>  > defective hardware or a driver/OS level issue).
>
> Hardware is always a possiblity, finally managed to get hold of IBM too.
> I have tried two different Linux distro's, with different kernels, My
> current Mandriva test using a fairly upto date kernel.
> I may try a custom kernel.

also test with different IO schedulers(especially deadline and noop).

Stefan

Сообщение: Re: Installed PG with pgAdmin, some days later, now my password don't work!
Сообщение: Re: Installed PG with pgAdmin, some days later, now my password don't work!