Re: Postmaster Uptime

От Tim Knowles
Тема Re: Postmaster Uptime
Дата
Re: Postmaster Uptime  (Lee Kindness <lkindness@csl.co.uk>)
Список pgsql-general
To be honest my reason for requiring an uptime is really just comestic.   My
company uses a VBA app with PostgreSQL as the backend, an administrator only
screen shows database activity (number of backends, running queries -
bascially custom versions of some of the pg_stat views), I thought the
uptime would be an interesting addition to that.

I also think that having easy access to the uptime could help in the
advocacy of PostgreSQL.  My best is just over 4 months (based on the date
given by the ps command), stopped only by an upgrade to 7.2.2! If people are
willing to publish/share that sort of info it can only further impress
people about PostgreSQL's stability (btw I've never had a crash/problem in
the 2 years I've been using PostgreSQL)

Best Regards,

Tim Knowles

Robert Treat <rtreat@webmd.net> writes:
> Could we store this as an environment variable that gets set once
> postmaster leaves "start up" mode?

Whose environment? If the postgres user, how would another user access
it? And if only the postgres user could access it, it's not clear to
me why that would have any advantages over just storing it in a static
C variable.

More generally, why is this functionality needed in the first place?

Cheers,

Neil