Can't get postmaster to restart after removing WAL files

От Nick Fankhauser
Тема Can't get postmaster to restart after removing WAL files
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi all-

I caused a crash by filling up the filesystem that pg_xlog lives on whilst
doing a vacuum analyze. When I looked at the remains, there were 3 WAL files
out there & no space left.

I tried simply restarting (/etc/init.d/postgresql start) in the hopes that
the mess would get cleaned, but with no luck. The startup script reported
success, but no postmaster was running.

I tried removing the WAL files & restarting again with the same results- the
startup script reports success, but postmaster isn't running.

I'm not worried about the data- this is on a demo system, so I can
regenerate it quickly, but I can't even get the postmaster started so I can
begin the restore. I guess I've learned that removing a WAL file is a Bad
Idea (tm)... but now I need a good idea to get me back to the starting
point.

Any ideas?

TIA-

-Nick