Re: hardware question

От Nick Fankhauser
Тема Re: hardware question
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Here's a bit more anecdotal info on multi-processor systems-

We've got one system with  Tyan motherboard & 2 1.2 GHz Athlon processors,
SCSI Raid, 1 GB RAM. We're running Debian Linux 2.4.17 & Postgres 7.2.1.
We're happy with the performance, & both processors are being used by
postgresql. We haven't seen all of the RAM used yet, but I'm confident that
the OS is equipped to use it & just think we haven't challenged it enough.

On the downside, our backup machine with the same configuration doesn't
work. Since the other one is performing flawlessly, I'm assuming we have a
bad hardware component somewhere.

I've also run a 4 processor Xeon box with 2GB RAM at a previous job, and I
wasn't impressed, but it was running NT & Oracle so the comparison is very
approximate.

I would encourage you to strongly consider the Athlon processors if you're
trying to reduce cost. From what I've read elsewhere, it sounds like you may
get comparable performance with a dual Athlon vs a Quad Xeon. Also remember
that in a server-class Sun box, you've got a nice I/O channel by default,
but in an Intel/AMD box, you may need to think hard about I/O & make some
choices there as well.

-Nick