Is it safe to increase pg_attribute.atttypmod ?

От Nick Fankhauser
Тема Is it safe to increase pg_attribute.atttypmod ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi-

We need to increase the length of a varchar field, and couldn't find a way
to do it using "alter table". Since the alternative is copying & re-creating
a very large table, we starting poking around under the hood & found that
pg_attribute.atttypmod seems to be always equal to the length plus 4 in the
case of varchar fields.

We created a test table and altered the varchar length on a field by
increasing pg_attribute.atttypmod, and the length seemed to change and act
as expected.

The update to change a varchar(10) field to varchar(40) looked like this:

update pg_attribute set atttypmod = 44
where attrelid = ( select oid from pg_class where relname = 'test' )
and attname = 'oldtest' ;

Is this a smart thing to do?

Are there other hidden related bits of data that will come back to haunt us
later?

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/