configure datatype name > 31?

От Mark McEahern
Тема configure datatype name > 31?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi, the name datatype, which is used at least here:

    pg_database.datname
    pg_shadow.usename

is a 31 character field.  That seems awfully low.  For instance, what if I'm
silly enough to want to make a database named:

    customer_GUID

where GUID is something like:

    0ff7d0cc-7394-4b15-a28e-7018b1056f9c

You can imagine I have many customers, each with their own database; since I
use a guid to distinguish the customers, it makes most sense to me to use a
guid to distinguish their databases.

Since GUIDs (in that form at least) are 36 characters, I'm already SOL.  I
can condense the data, but I'd really much rather just use it like it is.

SQL Server 2000, for example, uses nvarchar(256) for the sysname field,
which seems to perform a similar function.

Is there a way to configure PostgreSQL to make the name field larger?

Thanks,

// mark