RE: [EXT EMAIL] Re: First Time Starting Up PostgreSQL and HavingProblems

От Kevin Brannen
Тема RE: [EXT EMAIL] Re: First Time Starting Up PostgreSQL and HavingProblems
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us

> Brent Bates <BBates@langleyfcu.org> writes:
> >      I found the problem.  I cleared everything out and started from scratch, then slowly added my changes back to
theconfiguration files.  The problem was in the postgresql.conf.  At the bottom of the file I had uncommented all the
‘include’lines, so they looked like this:

> >         include_dir = ''                        # include files ending in '.conf' from

> Ah-hah!  I wonder if we should disallow empty values for these GUCs?
> And/or put in some kind of test for recursive opening of the same config file?  I don't think it'd occurred to anyone
thatit's this easy to get the code to try to do that.

I would encourage this. 😊 I know on one of my early installs some time back I accidentally did:

data_directory = ''

and had a devil of a time figuring out why the postmaster wouldn't start (in fact it was you Tom that pointed me in the
rightdirection to eventually find the misconfiguration). So I think it would be a great idea to add checks for empty
stringsin places where that's a problem. An unset value (as in the config is commented out) can be OK as any defaults
willbe used, but to set some values to the empty string just hurts and it would be a help to new users, or even those
ofus who make typos, 😊 to get better error messages so we can fix the problem faster on our own.

Kevin

This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential
information.If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient,
youare hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, review, copy or use of any of the information contained in or
attachedto this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately
notifyus by reply e-mail, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them
todisk. Thank you.

От: Matthias Apitz
Сообщение: encryption of specific columns
От: Alex Magnum
Сообщение: Coalesce 2 Arrays