Behavior at odds with documentation (CREATE USER and SQL language functions)

От Christopher Travers
Тема Behavior at odds with documentation (CREATE USER and SQL language functions)
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hi all;

I came across another piece of strange behavior that I wanted to report to
you.  This appears to be related to previous email disucssions (see
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2003-04/msg00091.php).

Utility statements do not work from SQL language functions.  Presumably this
is because SQL only does argument substitution and that these do not work
with utility commands.  The workaround is to do this in plpgsql with an
EXECUTE statement.

If this is indeed the expected behavior (as I understand from the previous
thread), then it would be very nice to see a note to this effect in the
documentation on SQL language functions, as that might save others much
troubleshooting time as well.

Also, is there any chance that this will be changed in the near future?  It
would be nice to have the option to use arguments for utility commands in
SQL language (and for that matter plpgsql language) functions?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Express yourself with MSN Messenger 6.0 -- download now!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_general