Re: databases and RAID ...

От Fred Moyer
Тема Re: databases and RAID ...
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
If I was in your situation I would put both 18's into a sw raid 1
configuration.  You may lose some speed on the writes since it's doing more
work than writing to 1 disk but the redundancy will be well worth it should
the day come when you need it.

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Rajesh Kumar
Mallah.
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 10:15 PM
To: pgsql-admin
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] databases and RAID ...

Hi Fred,

I have only two hardisks and no HW card.
how can i utilize them best?

i do not want to loose data one fine day
discovering one  my SCSI havaing DB
has failed.    :-(

should i run database on only 1 18GB scsi and
pg_dump every 6 hrs my critical tables
on other machine (which has not database and has 2*18GB SCSI
in RAID 1) ?
or
should i go for SW RAID 1 configuration putting 2 hardrives
in the DB server.

ok , in worst case i will try both the configs and post the
benchmarks  ;-)

thanks everyone for their time.

regds
mallah.