Re: Why is MySQL more chosen over PostgreSQL?

От Christopher Kings-Lynne
Тема Re: Why is MySQL more chosen over PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > We inherited inheritance from Berkeley.  I doubt we would have added it
> > ourselves.  It causes too much complexity in other parts of the system.
>
> How about dropping it, then?
>
> Just start to emit
>
> WARNING: inheritance will be dropped with postgres 8.0
> WARNING: please refer to http://.../ for an explanation why.
>
> right now on every CREATE TABLE that uses it.

Why?  It doesn't hurt you personally!  Plus, it would annoy a _boatload_ of
existing inheritance users.

A more interesting question I think is how to allow our indexes to span
multiple relations, _without_ causing any performance degradation for non
inheritance users...

Chris