Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

От Christopher Kings-Lynne
Тема Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?
Дата
Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?  (Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>)
Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?  ("Neil Conway" <neilc@samurai.com>)
Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?  (Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Palle,

Between 7.2 and 7.3 there was an API change to the pgnotify(?) struct or
something.  When 7.3 was released, we forgot to bump the version number, so
we're doing it now.  It was something of an oversight, but it really needed
to be done.

There have been HEAPS of security fixes between 7.2 and 7.3.  Depending on
your definition of security.  eg. Going 'select cash_out(2);' on any 7.2
server and below will crash the backend.  It will not do that in 7.3.  Most
of the buffer problems were fixed in 7.2.3.

Since going from 7.2 to 7.3 is a significant upgrade, the FreeBSD guys would
probablyu be right tho to refuse such a major upgrade...  Still, it's a pity
though.  Postgres 7.3 has been tested and works fine on FreeBSD 5.

Cheers,

Chris

ps. Why is Postgres 7.3 still in ports/databases/postgresql-devel ??
Actually, maybe it was a good thing since if 7.3.1 becomes the new standard
port people won't be bitten so much by the library version bump.