Re: Completely un-tuned Postgresql benchmark results: SSD vs desktop HDD

От Scott Carey
Тема Re: Completely un-tuned Postgresql benchmark results: SSD vs desktop HDD
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Aug 11, 2010, at 9:30 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> Scott Carey wrote:
>> What is the likelihood that your RAID card fails, or that the battery that reported 'good health' only lasts 5
minutesand you lose data before power is restored?   What is the likelihood of human error?

> These are all things that happen sometimes, sure.  The problem with the
> cheap SSDs is that they happen downright often if you actually test for
> it.  If someone is aware of the risk and makes an informed decision,
> fine.  But most of the time I see articles like the one that started
> this thread that are oblivious to the issue, and that's really bad.

Agreed.  There is a HUGE gap between "ooh ssd's are fast, look!" and engineering a solution that uses them properly
withall their strengths and faults.  And as 'gnuoytr' points out, there is a big difference between an Intel SSD and
say,this thing: http://www.nimbusdata.com/products/s-class_overview.html