Re: Am I Stupid or What?

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Am I Stupid or What?
Дата
Список pgadmin-support

OK.

> Then download pgadmin2.msi and psqlodbc.msi.

You don't need psqlodbc.msi - it's installed with pgAdmin.

> Both
> installation programs
> complain of a non-existant PostgreSQL file (they don't ge
> specifc about
> where they are looking exactly.)

What is the exact error message you're getting? Neither package will require
any other PostgreSQL files to install btw. (I can be confident about this -
I built the installers for both packages). It's probably a Microsoft MDAC
file that's missing. If you're running Windows NT/95/98/ME, make sure you've
installed MDAC - you can download v2.7 from www.microsoft.com/data.

> Now, call me a block-head, but:
>
> 1. Why else would I download a Windows GUI unless I wanted to
> access a
> PostgreSQL database on a remote server?

To access one on the local system :-)

> 2. How could PostgreSQL EVER be installed locally when it is
> (as far as I
> can tell) released for Posix systems only?  Boggle.

PostgreSQL can be run in the Cygwin Posix environment on Win32 systems (in
fact, a prebuilt PostgreSQL comes with Cygwin). pgAdmin has been
successfully run under Wine on at least 2 Linux/XFree86 systems (though that
doesn't want to work here at the moment).

Regards, Dave.