Re: Interesting Issues

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Interesting Issues
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers

<snip>

> > The only diff we could do would be a traditional text diff which
> would be
> > useless.
>
> Sorry, I was making the assumption that the production
> database was already identical to another version in the
> past.  Ie.  Production is version 10, test is version 22.
> Could one not apply all statements from 10 through 22 and end
> up with both databases being of the same level?

The old pgAdmin project had exactly this feature. It logged all 'schema
update' queries against the current version number (which could be changed
at will) and could then produce SQL scripts of all the updates from any
previous to the current version. As no-one ever admitted to using this
feature it was one of those the never made it to pgAdmin II.

In reality, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to put it in there again
as all SQL queries pass through a single function in the pgSchema library
anyway, but I'm not sure if I'd have the time to do it.

> I wonder if work has a copy of Visual Basic around somewhere.

We welcome patches if you want to work on this :-)

>  This is a feature that benifits them quite a bit and it's
> about time I started doing to some windows based development.
>  Besides, I'd love to see the thought behind my Postgresql
> Autodoc tool be integrated into PGAdmin.

Was it you that suggested a query recording system so the developer could
record the queries executed in a session to a script? That is actually done
and in CVS now, and could (the guts of it anyway) form the basis for such
enhancments.

Regards, Dave.