Re: Installing Postgresql on Linux Friendlyarm

От Xiang Gan
Тема Re: Installing Postgresql on Linux Friendlyarm
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Finally, I managed to run Postgresql in Linux FriendlyARM environment. It seems that Postgresql server starts to work,
however,it prints out some WARNING info. during the start. The error info. is as follows:

LOG: could not resolve "localhost": Temporary failure in name resolution
LOG: disabling statistics collector for lack of working socket
WARNING: autovacuum not started because of misconfiguration
HINT: Enable the "track_counts" option.

So the above log indicates that autovacuum failed to start mainly due to the problem that "localhost" cannot be
resolvedas 127.0.0.1? But I can ping localhost from command line without any problem. My /etc/hosts file reads as:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

In addition, options "autovacuum" and "track_counts" are turned on by default in postgresql.conf file. But in database,
withcommand "show autovacuum", its value is shown as "on" while with command "show track_counts", its value is shown as
"off".

Could anyone provide some hints about how to handle this kind of problem?

Kind regards,
Gerry

Xiang Gan <XiangGan@santaitech.com> writes:
> OK. So a stupid question, whether there is any possibility to run Postgresql as root? (I know this is forbidden
generally.But what I find out is that in Linux FriendlyArm environment, root could create socket while non-root user
doesnot have such privilege)

So, it's not so much FriendlyArm as StupidAndUselessArm?  What sort of nut
would think that all network services should run as root?

The short answer to your question is that if you're so inclined, you
can easily find and dike out the no-root check in the server source
code.  But the Postgres project never has and never will publish a
version with that check removed or compromised in any way, and we will
not provide support if you have any problems running the server that way.
We do not believe it's advisable to run network-accessible services
as root.

От: Paul Ramsey
Сообщение: Re: spgist index not getting used
От: Andrej Vanek
Сообщение: Re: deadlock of lock-waits (on transaction and on tuple) using same update statement