postmaster.pid file

От Tena Sakai
Тема postmaster.pid file
Дата
Re: postmaster.pid file  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-admin

Hi Everybody,

I experienced something a bit strange.
When I issued, on a linux machine, the following
command as user postgres:
    ~/bin/pg_ctl -D ~/bin reload
It wasn't happy.  The complaint was:
    pg_ctl: PID file "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster.pid" does not exist
    Is server running?

Upon checking, I discovered that the file postmaster.pid was
in data directory and as I copied it into ~/bin directory (and
changed the ownership and permission appropriately), it sent
the HUP signal to the server process and all was well.  I am
sure I have issued this command before and never had problems
like today.

Question 1:
  What happened?
  Did I do the right thing?  If not, please tell me what I
  should've and could've done.

Question 2:
  As I looked at the pid file, there were three lines.  The
  first line seemed like the pid of the server process.  The
  second line indicates where the database cluster resides.
  In my case it is /usr/local/pgsql/data.  The last line has
  two numbers.  In my case they are: 5432001 and 131072.
  What do they represent?  I don't seem to have processes
  by such id.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Tena Sakai