Re: best practice in upgrading db structure

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: best practice in upgrading db structure
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mar 29, 2006, at 3:25 AM, Csaba Nagy wrote:

>> Could somebody explain me, or point me to a resource where I can find
>> out what is the recommended practice when a live db needs to be
>> replaced
>> with a new version of it that has a slightly different structure?
>
> Our development infrastructure includes a development data base
> cluster,
> with one data base per developer, and a staging data base with a
> largish
> deployment of the current production data base version.
>
> The developers are free to test whatever data base modifications they
> need on their private development data base. We have a "setup_db"
> script, which creates the data base structure + initial data. The
> script
> is based on an XML file which is processed by XSLT to generate the
> actual schema for Oracle/Postgres. So the developers usually recreate

Have you considered releasing that creation code? I know there's lots
of places that have a need for stuff like this, and having used a
similar system before I know how powerful it can be. Unfortunately
the company I worked for was too paranoid to release the database
creation tool we used. :( Had they, maybe you wouldn't have had to
write one from scratch.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                decibel@decibel.org