Re: patch: Allow the UUID type to accept non-standard formats

От Decibel!
Тема Re: patch: Allow the UUID type to accept non-standard formats
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Oct 10, 2008, at 3:40 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> I dislike all own creatures - because nobody will understand so do
>> some wrong thing - using non standard formats is bad thing. So
>> it's is
>> necessary, then who need it then he found it on pgfoundry. But why
>> smudge core?
>
> I'm opposed to smudging core, but I'm in favor of this patch.  :-)
>
> Of course, I'm biased, because I wrote it.  But I think that providing
> input and output functions that make it easy to read and write common
> formats, even if they happen to be non-standard, is useful.

I tend to agree, but I have a hard time swallowing that when it means
a 2-3% performance penalty for those that aren't using that
functionality. I could perhaps see adding a function that accepted
common UUID formats and spit out the standard.

If you could get rid of the performance hit this might be more
interesting. Perhaps default to assuming a good format and only fail
back to something else if that doesn't work?
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org