Re: patch: Allow the UUID type to accept non-standard formats

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: patch: Allow the UUID type to accept non-standard formats
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I dislike all own creatures - because nobody will understand so do
> some wrong thing - using non standard formats is bad thing. So it's is
> necessary, then who need it then he found it on pgfoundry. But why
> smudge core?

I'm opposed to smudging core, but I'm in favor of this patch.  :-)

Of course, I'm biased, because I wrote it.  But I think that providing
input and output functions that make it easy to read and write common
formats, even if they happen to be non-standard, is useful.  One
shouldn't go overboard, of course, but the range and variety of ways
that we can format some other datatypes (like date and timestamp) is
vastly greater and includes all sorts of things that are not only
non-standard but flagrantly unreasonable, like to_char(now(),
'MMDD-YY-HH').  This change on the other hand is merely window
dressing, but if it saves someone having to do a trivial format
conversion to complete their data load, I think that's beneficial.

*shrug*

...Robert

Сообщение: Re: Building Postgres in Eclipse
Сообщение: Re: Building Postgres in Eclipse