Re: Upgrade 7.4 to 8.1 or 8.2?

От Brandon Aiken
Тема Re: Upgrade 7.4 to 8.1 or 8.2?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
From what I've seen 8.2 is going to offer several nice new features, but
I would move to 8.1.5 for now.

Honestly, I would probably wait until 8.2.1 is available before moving
to that subversion.  No offense against the PG team, but I've been
burned by zeroes once too many times to go live with 8.2.0.

--
Brandon Aiken
CS/IT Systems Engineer

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of John
Sidney-Woollett
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2006 11:10 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Upgrade 7.4 to 8.1 or 8.2?

We're looking to upgrade from 7.4 - should we go to 8.1.5 or 8.2?

We have two databases; 7.4.6 and 7.4.11 in a master slave config using
Slony. Both databases use the C locale with UTF-8 encoding on unix.

We've dumped and loaded the data into an 8.1.4 database and have seen no

problems with invalid UTF-8 sequences. So we're fairly happy that we can

upgrade to 8.1.5 pretty easily using Slony.

We're really looking for some extra performance right now.

Are the differences between 8.1.5 and 8.2 significant? Is 8.2 more about

speed or new features?

John

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend