Re: intel vs amd benchmark for pg server

От Riebs, Andy
Тема Re: intel vs amd benchmark for pg server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> The benchmark I am using is the time it takes to vacuum.  The
> production server 900MHz celeron takes around 90 seconds.  Nightly
> backup dump from the server makes a 3 GB file.

Once other system effects are considered (as noted in earlier responses to your note), may I modestly suggest that OSDB
willoffer a more interesting benchmark than "the time it takes to vacuum the database?"

(For what you want to do,
  1. Download the OSDB and 40MB data tar balls from <http://osdb.sf.net>
  2. Execute something like the following...

       $ tar zxvf osdb.tgz
       $ cd osdb
       $ tar zxvf data-40mb.tgz
       $ mv data-40mb data
       $ ./configure --with-postgresql=/usr/local/pgsql --prefix=./bin
       $ bin/osdb-pg-emb --postgresql=no_hash_index
)

/andy

p.s. We're working on a runtime data generator to facilitate testing with much larger datasets, but it's not there yet.

---
Andy Riebs, andy.riebs@compaq.com           High Performance Technical
(w) 603-884-1521, (fax) 603-884-0630             Computing/Linux Group
    <http://cub.sourceforge.net/>          Compaq Computer Corporation
(h) ariebs@earthlink.net                 <http://www.compaq.com/linux>
    <http://osdb.sourceforge.net/>      <http://opensource.compaq.com>