Installing Postgreql

От simon godwin
Тема Installing Postgreql
Дата
Re: Installing Postgreql  (Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net>)
Список pgsql-cygwin
Hi,

I'm trying to install Postgresql running Windows98. I've managed to install
Cygwin and got hold of the tar ball and unpacked it...etc.

By trial and error, more than anything else, I've managed to get the
ipc-daemon working by changing the PATH in my autoexec.bat file!  However,
when I come to initialize PostgreSQL things seem to be going wrong.  This is
what I see on the screen...

Default@PC ~
$ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
This database system will be initialized with the username "Default".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server process.

Creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data
Creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/base
Creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/global
Creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_xlog
Creating template1 database in /usr/share/postgresql/data/base/1
DEBUG: database system was shut down at 2002-06-11 16:49:42
DEBUG: CheckPoint record at (0, 8)
DEBUG: Redo record at (0, 8); Undo record at (0, 8); Shutdown TRUE
DEBUG: NextTransactionId: 514; NextOid: 16384
DEBUG: database system is in production state
Creating global relations in /usr/share/postgresql/data/global
DEBUG: database system was shut down at 2002-06-11 16:49:48
DEBUG: CheckPoint record at (0, 112)
DEBUG: Redo record at (0,112); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown TRUE
DEBUG: NextTransactionId: 514; NextOid: 17199
DEBUG: database system is in production state
Initializing pg_shadow.
Enabling unlimited row width for system tables.
Creating system views.
Setting lastsysoid.
Vacuuming database.
Copying template1 to template0

Success. You can now start the database server using:

   /usr/bin/postmaster -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
or
   /usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/share/postgresql/data -l logfile start

Default@PC
$ /usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/share/postgresql/data -l logfile start
postmaster successfully started

Default@PC
$ psql template1

...and then it just hangs there!

Hope you can give me some suggestions.  Thanks in anticipation.

Simon.