RE: [HACKERS] RAW I/O device

От Horak Daniel
Тема RE: [HACKERS] RAW I/O device
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > On Linux now exist project for raw I/O device
> > (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/rawio/). Exist any plan (for
> far future)
> > with raw device for PgSQL? (TODO be quiet for this.)
>
>     Up to now we kept the storage manager overhead in the system.
>     Actually there is no way to tell which storage manager to use
>     for a particular table/index, so anything goes to the default
>     which is the magnetic disk one that  uses  single  files  for
>     each relation.
>
>     There   was  a  discussion  about  simplifying  it,  but  the
>     consensus was to let it as is because it is the  base  for  a
>     tablespace and/or raw device manager.
>
>     AFAIK,  noone  is  working  on  it,  so it must be really FAR
>     future. But the plan is still alive.

I have done some work in this area - mostly to recognize new keywords
(CREATE TABLESPACE ...) and I have also created a new storage manager, but I
have stopped it due the lack of free time ;-). I can send a patch for 6.5.1.

In my opinion, the main problem is with accessing shared system tables (like
pg_database) and to include a storage manager type into the tuples in
pg_database. But I think it is possible to solve this problems.
    Dan