Re: Adding German Character Set to PostgresSQL

От Hagen Finley
Тема Re: Adding German Character Set to PostgresSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions. I just left for a 5 day East Coast business trip so I won't have a
chanceto tackle this gain until the weekend. For the record, I am running Centos as a VM on both a MAC OS 10.7 laptop
anda Windows 7 Workstation. In theory, I ought to be able use these differing platforms to test these suggestions more
rigorously.Thanks again!

Hagen Finley
hagen.finley@emc.com
Technical Business Consultant
EMC
303-886-1232
Sent from my iPad 2

On Jan 3, 2012, at 3:34, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

> On 01/02/12 6:21 PM, Hagen Finley wrote:
>> Yes but I couldn't input your second line - the  ('ä,ß,ö') was not possible via the psql client - just got beeped
whenI tried to type or paste those characters.

> the problem is, MS Windows and only MS Windows uses UTF16 instead of the UTF8 that the entire rest of the world uses,
sowhat looks right in Notepad or other windows software, is in fact encoded wrong for any non-MS UTF8 system.  your SSH
utilityis supposed to be taking care of the differences, and it generally works with VanDyke's SecureCRT but I've had
issueswith PuTTY.