Re: fast or immediate stop?

От Tomeh, Husam
Тема Re: fast or immediate stop?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
You should use -m fast option to cleanly and gracefully shutdown the
database. Immediate option is rarely used and typically when you cannot
shutdown your database gracefully with -m fast option. So normal
situation, yes, go with -m fast.

Regards,
      Husam

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Ray Stell
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2009 11:37 AM
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: [ADMIN] fast or immediate stop?

Do people use "gp_ctl stop -m i" in production?  I've had some
difficulty
with the apps admin getting all the clients shut during maintenance
windows.  I'm wondering what I should add to may init.d script, fast
or immediate.  The 8.3 doc says:

'"Fast" mode does not wait for clients to disconnect. All active
transactions are rolled
back and clients are forcibly disconnected, then the server is shut
down.'

"Immediate" mode will abort all server processes without a clean
shutdown. This will lead to a recovery run on restart.

Fast seems right, but I wonder.  Advice?  I'm at 8.3.6.