Re: pg or DBI

От Jeremy Buchmann
Тема Re: pg or DBI
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thursday, October 24, 2002, at 10:05 AM, Devinder K Rajput wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have used pg to connect to postgres.  However, I have seen a lot of
> people use DBI.  Are there any advantages/disadvantages in using one or
> the
> other for connecting to postgres via perl.  Also, which one is more
> widely
> used?  Thanks for your input.

In theory, DBI is "cross-database", meaning the code you write to access
one database is the same as, or very similar to, the code you write to
access another.  That's nice because if you switch databases, you don't
have to do a huge code re-write, and you don't have to learn a different
set of function calls for each database you use.  Also, DBI is actively
maintained, and I don't know if Perl-Pg is or not.  There has been some
discussion about ditching Perl-Pg in favor of DBI, but I don't know if
anything
became of that.

--Jeremy