Re: Utility database (Was: RE: Autovacuum in the backend)

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Utility database (Was: RE: Autovacuum in the backend)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Sat 6/18/2005 6:36 AM
To: Dave Page
Cc: Andreas Pflug; Christopher Kings-Lynne; Magnus Hagander; Josh Berkus; pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Utility database (Was: RE: Autovacuum in the backend)
> The proposal I thought was being made was that we separate the
> default-connection-target property from the default-CREATE-DATABASE-source
> property.  This business about where tool authors can dump random junk
> of their own devising does not seem to me to fit at all with either of
> those properties.  I think what you are really asking for is yet another
> "standard" database named something like TOOLS_ONLY_KEEP_OUT.

Keeping people out of template1 is my major concern, however it seemed like a good way to kill 2 birds with one stone
andsolve both problems at once.

I'll knock up a patch to create a database called 'default' at initdb time given that that appears to be the only name
withmore than one person backing it.

We (the tool makers), can argue over whether we will use it, or pg_addons (as Robert has suggested) later. In some ways
perhapsit would be better to keep them seperate - the first db a real first-time-newbie will see is 'default', so
perhapshaving lots of tool data where he might fiddle is not such a good idea.

Any objections (he says, looking for a smooth patch->CVS before 8.1 :-) )?

Regards, Dave