Re: New website announcement

От Dave Page
Тема Re: New website announcement
Дата
Список pgsql-www

It's not just a 'fun feature'. It is used for serious research (and I
should point out, was put there at the request of a core member).

> > As for the survey, the only responses I've seen from anyone
> are along
> >  the lines of 'yes, it does need to be on the front page'. I
> > personally think that the 'Featured User' box should be
> used for this
> >  - I can't see us getting a new quote from a user every few weeks
> > after all...
>
> Looking at the front page, I don't see that any items are of less
> importance than the user survey and could be replaced. I don't agree
> with the suggestion that the "featured user" box be removed
> to make way
> for the survey, as this is an important feature that will help
> PostgreSQL to get new users. (There are more quotes coming, so it
> shouldn't be a problem to populate it.) While it's certainly essential
> that the new website caters to the existing community, the
> front page is
> the opportunity to show off PostgreSQL to those who *aren't* already
> users. Therefore, that featured user box is probably the most
> important
> item on the front page.

I'm far from convinced that it will get us more users - it's unlikely to
attract new users to the site, and most techies I know would probably
just ignore it anyway and jump straight to docs or other sections to
find out if we can support their requirements. The survey on the other
hand, can help guide the way we work and the future of the project.

That said, it is a nice element on the site, and I would be happy to go
with Robert's suggestion of alternating between quote and survey.

Regards, Dave.