Re: GUI Interface

От Dave Page
Тема Re: GUI Interface
Дата
Re: GUI Interface  (Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com>)
Список pgsql-general

It's a fairly fundamental part of the design - such a change would be
major.

> I've also been looking for  a decent GUI interface for
> postgres, but the knowledge that pgadmin III will want to
> load all of my table data every time I use the app is
> definitely prohibitive for me as our db here at work is huge.

It doesn't load 'all of your table data' - in fact it doesn't load *any*
user table data unless you specifically tell it to.

What it does is preload chunks of *meta* data - ie. Rows from pg_class,
pg_database etc.

For example, open a Database node and it'll preload the cast, language,
schema and if appropriate, Slony cluster meta data. Open a schema node
and it'll preload the aggregates, functions , domains etc in that and
only that schema.

> And, seriously,
> are we still living at a time when connection speed should be
> considered a deciding design factor?  Yes, some people still
> work off of slow connections, but the vast majority of us who
> work in a professional environment most definitely do not.

I work in a professional environment in a country (the UK) where the
cost of a 2Mb leased line could buy you a new laptop every month (a
significant amount of money for a small company), and yes, I regularly
use servers on the other side of the world where the round trip time
etc. would make a query-per-click interface unusable.

Regards, Dave.