Re: GUI Interface

От Tony Caduto
Тема Re: GUI Interface
Дата
Re: GUI Interface  ("A.M." <agentm@themactionfaction.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Dave Page wrote:
> I work in a professional environment in a country (the UK) where the
> cost of a 2Mb leased line could buy you a new laptop every month (a
> significant amount of money for a small company), and yes, I regularly
> use servers on the other side of the world where the round trip time
> etc. would make a query-per-click interface unusable.

So you are saying the UK does not have cable or DSL based broadband?

Leased T1s etc are very costly in the US also, and no one would have one
at home unless their company paid for it, and it would have to
be a major corporation to pay for that type of leased line.
Most companies here will cover the cost of a cable or DSL connection
and  that is very fast for one user to connect to the net.

Anyway, if in general you where using  a slow connection such as a 56k
line wouldn't it make a lot of sense to work on a local copy of the
database?

When you are working in a LAN environment the pre-loading that pgAdmin
III does is kind of a pain in the you know what.  I had MS SQL DBAs
notice the preloading/caching right away and they hated it.
It really sucks for the function editor as after you open the function
for the first time it continues to use the cached copy until you refresh
or save it again.  Joe DBA down the hall in some other cube makes a
change to a function and with pgAdmin III you won't know about it until
you manually refresh the function, opening it will cause it to use the
last cached copy and you then go about your business and when you save
it you wipe out the changes made by DBA #2 .  In a perfect situation you
would not be doing things like this on a production server, but it still
happens.  You should at least change this behavior for the function
editor as it makes no sense to be caching the functions ddl.

All I can say is that if you are used to working with the tools that
come with commercial DBs they do not behave anything like pgAdmin III
and you end up cursing everything about
pgAdmin III.  If you are not used to anything else pgAdmin III is great
and thats because you don't know what you are missing.

Later,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: pl/pgsql question
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: [PERFORM] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid