Re: GUI Interface

От Dave Page
Тема Re: GUI Interface
Дата
Список pgsql-general

From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Kenneth Downs
Sent: 12 May 2006 13:06
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] GUI Interface

Dave Page wrote:

From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Kenneth Downs
Sent: 12 May 2006 02:09
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org

The longer you use it, the longer it takes to connect to databases each time you start up.  It says "Restoring previous settings".

It should only take longer if the number of objects in your database grows significantly, or if you've turned on debug logging. At that point it is examining your database so that it can rebuild the treeview to roughly the state that it was when you last used it.
My database has 270+ tables.  That's probably small for where it will be in a year.  At the moment I have only a dozen or so databases per server, and four servers that I regularly connect to. I did not intentionally turn on debug logging.

I am considering making that behaviour optional though - I have many databases for instance, and often find myself wating a few seconds needlessly.
Yeah, it's hard to complain about seconds, but delays of that sort do upset concentration.  The problem is compounded when I have to kill it and restart it for a network hang.

OK, I think I'm going to make 'restore' a per-server option.
How so- the in-grid editor? I'm open to suggestions and feedback.
The results display in the query analyzer shows one results at one row height.  If a text column has CR's in it, such as the text of a stored procedure, or a stored XML file, you can't see anything.  There appears no way to increase the height of the displayed result, so all I see is the first line.  Ideal would be a display that sized itself to the height of the content.  Then I'd be clean out of phppgadmin.

phppgadmin has the edge here because they simply dump the result to the display and the browser sizes it.

Hmm, OK - I'm not sure everyone would want it to auto-size to the contents,  but certainly in SVN trunk you can adjust the height of a column and see multiple lines correctly.

Which leads me onto your other email that just arrived - you might want to try SVN trunk as the Query Tool has been the subject of a lot of recent work. It now uses a grid control rather than a list (which is most likely why multiline data is visible without any deliberate fixes), and the control is virtualised which now *completely* eliminates the data load time. In other words, where we used to display 123msec +102msec as a query time, now all you see (and wait) is 123mSec :-). There have also been a number of of other improvements such as the addition of a 'Favourite Query' manager, a 'Quick Report' engine which will dump your queries & results as XHTML or XML reports, and copy to clipboard improvements. Some of these could well have resolved the issue you are seeing.

Regards, Dave.