Re: Performance

От Jeremy Buchmann
Тема Re: Performance
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Friday, January 18, 2002, at 02:00 AM, Martins Zarins wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I need to setup high performance DB server. Some time ago I red
> there about processor cache influence on query execution
> performance.
> A question:
> What system would perform better?
> lh6000 with two xeon 7000Mhz 2MB cache
> or
> with four xeon 7000Mhz 1MB cache

It's more than just processor cache, it's your whole I/O subsystem.
How fast are your drives?  How fast is the drive controller?  How much
cache is on each drive?  How much cache is on the drive controller?
Are you going to use a RAID?  If so, what type?  Do you have enough
memory for the size of the database and type of queries you're going to
run?

As far as processor cache goes, your goal is to avoid cache misses...so
it
depends on how many connections you're expecting, what those connections
will be doing, etc.  The best advice is to run your own benchmarks and
find
out for yourself.

--Jeremy