Re: max_prepared_transactions default ... why 5?

От Decibel!
Тема Re: max_prepared_transactions default ... why 5?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Oct 18, 2007, at 12:07 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the intention was to have enough so you could test 'em (in
>>> particular, run the regression tests) without eating resources for
>>> the majority of installations that aren't using them.
>>>
>>> Certainly an installation that *is* using 'em would want a higher
>>> setting.
>>
>> Yeah, given the amount of memory per xact, I guess we can't
>> actually set the
>> default higher.  I just hate to see a setting that is liable to
>> bite someone
>> on the tuchas so easily.
>
> They will see the failure at 5 faster and adjust it accordingly.
> If it
> was higher they might hit the limit only under heavy load and it would
> surprise them.

Actually, the amount of memory is a reason to default to 0, or change
the name, or put a big comment in the config, because I very often
saw databases where people had set this to a very high value under
the impression that it impacted prepared statements.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org