7.3.3 upgrade with RPMs on RH 8.0

От Richard Welty
Тема 7.3.3 upgrade with RPMs on RH 8.0
Дата
Список pgsql-general
i'm trying to figure out an error message i enoountered while upgrading
a RH8.0 system from 7.3.2 to 7.3.3 using RPMs. i was about to post asking
why the upgrade is failing, but researching the problem leads me to ask a
different question.

when i initially went to install

postgresql-pl-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm

it gave me the following message

error: Failed dependencies:
 perl(Pg) is needed by postgresql-pl-7.3.3-1PGDG

this confused me, because i thought the perl stuff was installed:

rpm -qa | grep perl
perl-5.8.0-55
perl-DBI-1.30-1
perl-DBD-Pg-1.13-5

when going back to fact check, i was suprised to see that despite the
message, rpm -qa on the system in question now shows the rpm as installed:

[root@localhost 7.3.3]# rpm -qa | grep postg
postgresql-7.3.3-1PGDG
postgresql-pl-7.3.3-1PGDG

so for the moment, i'm going to presume from the output of rpm -aq that it
is installed, despite the error message. am i wrong about this, or is a
bogus error message being emitted for some obscure reason?

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net