RE: Strange (and good) side effect of partitioning ?

От Phil Florent
Тема RE: Strange (and good) side effect of partitioning ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Tom, Hi Rob

Thanks for this clear and complete explanation. My question was unclear since I didn't even consider the results could be identical and it was about the plans. I had misunderstood what J.Lewis had written since he probably meant some RDBMS always do a BETWEEN SYMETRIC. Our application currently has double compatibility with Oracle and PostgreSQL, PostgreSQL only after 2021, and I hope we won't be compatible with a RDBMS that would not respect SQL standard on this aspect.

>But if you have a workload where it's really worth spending
>planner cycles looking for self-contradictory queries, you can
>turn it on.

It was theoretical but it is a DSS tool and some queries can be dynamically built by the end users. Perhaps it really happens on some cases since I don't know if we always check criterias not to obtain self-contradictory queries. Since it's not OLTP our execution times are always much more important than our planning times anyway.

There are other places it could be more interesting to spend time for better performance. Debian 10/PostgreSQL 11 is our initial PostgreSQL platform. It's very efficient but I have to prepare Debian 11/PostgresQL 13. My first goal was to avoid performance regressions but I now want to always fully use planning capabilites of PostgreSQL. We currently have to completely deactive merge joins for some workload, nested loops for some other workload. It's OK but it's not optimal.
My current goal is to always activate (almost) everything with Debian 11/PostgreSQL 13 and everything with Debian 12/PostgreSQL 14+.
I will try to increase default_statistics_target it could be worth the price. I will also try to activate enable_partitionwise_aggregate and enable_partitionwise_join since we use partitioning by list of hospitals and subpartitioning by range of times. Replacing our slow Oracle "union all" views by PostgreSQL partitioned tables to deal with group of hospitals has still to be completed.

Best regards,

Phil